Wednesday 27 January 2016

Ageing Special Effects Makeup

Theatrical ageing: The skin on the hands and face.

Equiptment List- 

-Barrier Cream
-Neils Materials Latex
-Old Age Stipple Latex
-Illamasqua Powder 
-Charles Fox Foundation Pallet
-Charles Fox Concealer Pallet 
-Acetone 
-Cotton Buds
-Hair Dryer 

Health & Safety - 

-The first health and safety measure that you need to take into account when working on a model with chemicals like Latex is to make sure you test it on the skin first. The best way to do this is to test the Latex on the inside of the wrist and wait for it to dry and see if there is any reaction on the skin. 

-Another safety measure to protect the skin is to use barrier cream. This works to protect  the skin from the latex.

-Another safety measure is to not put the latex on body hair as it clings to it and hurts when removing.

-Models eyes need to be closed when using the chemicals near the eyes. Need to make sure you tell your model this and wait for the latex to have dried before they can open them again.

-Remove the latex with warm water.

How to apply

-The first step to creating this ageing look is to use 
the barrier cream on the part of the skin that you will be placing the liquid latex on. I decided to start with the skin near the eye, where your temple is. Firstly need to stretch the skin so you can place the latex on the stretched skin.
Next  you need to use a stippling sponge to dip into the latex and then place onto the face. Make sure you put the latex on so its even and also not too thick or will take a while for it to dry and also create a harsh line where it starts and stops. Keep the piece of skin stretched while you dry it with a hair drier. The latex will be white while its wet and then change to clear once it is completely dry.
Once your first layer is dry can then add more on top if you want to make more of a dramatic look. As you add more laters of latex is starts to get quite thick so if you want a more natural look I would suggest 2 or 3 layer of the latex, once you start adding more than that it gets very thick which can sometimes look very fake.
If you have any harsh edges you can use Acetone on a cotton bud to blend away the harsh edges so it blends in with the skin better. After looking back at my images I noticed I should have done that on a bit which started to flake off just at the end of the eyebrow.
After your happy with the results which you can see on the left I done 3 layers of the latex. I then powered it as it has a slightly plastic look to it after its completely dried.
After I had done that I then used some of the Charles Fox Foundation Pallet to make the latex look more realistic, in the photo's I have taken it made it look darker than my models skin but in person it looked fine so need to take that into account that the camera might pick up things the eyes don't see.

I then moved on to doing the latex on the hand which I used a different product which is slightly thicker and got a sort of skin colour tone to it, its called old age stipple which is another form of latex.
First started by stretching the skin out on the back of the hand then adding the latex to the skin using more of a thicker sponge. Then the same process again by drying it with a hair dryer till you loose the tackiness as it doesn't change much in colour. Can use this to create a dry skin look as well by rubbing it slightly.

Over all I loved practising this technique was really interesting to learn how they do it in the film and tv industry as I have never done anything like this before. I was extremely happy with my outcome from using this product, to improve next time I think I need to be more careful around the edges of the latex as I think they could have been tidied up using more Acetone. I think this is a technique that I will defiantly be using in my final assignment.


No comments:

Post a Comment