Thursday 11 February 2016

Late Victorian Hair

Late Victorian Hair 

Late Victorian fashion changed drastically from short tight up do's to longer more free hair styles. They started wearing it with longer curls towards the back of the head, it also became popular to wear hair pieces in the hair, and short curly fringes became popular using the fringe to be in a middle parting but swept off to the side. 
In the 1880s hates on top of the head became popular with hair looking a lot bigger. In the 1870s they were wearing their hair quite high up with long curls at the back.
In 1861 - 1865 there was an american magazine which showed the popular hair styles and how to do them, they were showing the start of sweeping the hair away from the face in different ways like the curled fringe. 
They also started using loose crimping and curling to create texture in the hair to show to gain extra volume to create these big hair styles. It also became popular to use hair pieces, this would be using real hair and would be secured to a comb of some sort to slot into the hair, this would create a fuller effect to the hair. 

I created a late Victorian hairstyle in class today using rollers to create the middle parting swept to the side which I talked about above.

I started with heating up my rollers till they were hot enough to put in the hair, I placed them in the front section of the hair by creating a middle parting and then grabbing the first section of hair a putting the roller in straight so following the parting. I then done the same with the section under, I then used the side sections to put in two more rollers which are going in the hair facing down ways. This is to create the swept back fringe at the front and the side pieces create volume in the sides of the hair. 
Once the rollers were in I then started creating the dome like effect with the curls by pinning them to the head and then pulling the curl out to create more of a messy curled effect for the back. Once the back is all curled I then took out the rollers at the front and styled and pinned them in the places I wanted them. 
Im extremely happy with my outcome to this hair style I think it reflects a late victorian hair style really well with the front centre parting and the domed effect using the curls.  






No comments:

Post a Comment