Saturday 23 April 2016

Horror Films - How Women Are Portrayed

Horror Films - How woman are portrayed 

I wanted to do some back ground research into the types of characters women play in horrors because stereotypically woman are always the one in danger and in need of help or rescuing. I wanted to find some films where the woman is the evil Lillian and see how they have been portrayed in the film. 

I wanted to write this post explaining how I think they are portrayed before I watch some of the films which they are in and explain how the makeup, hair and clothes have been styled. My personal view on women being the bad guy in films I feel like they always go over the top with the makeup so that its clear to the viewer who is the evil one because it's so normal and stereotypical that it's normally a man in most horrors that they need to make it obvious to the audience that it is the woman by dressing them different and going to extremes with the makeup.

While reading an article which was called  "Horror: the film genre where men don't have all the fun" was really interesting because it quotes peoples reviews on horror movies and how other people think about them, one of the quotes that was on the article was this:

"This article also talks about the horrors where women are the ones incharge and mentioning some horrors where its all about the women being able to make an impression just as well as men do in horrors. The artical quotes :
makes you wonder if the writers have ever even heard of, let alone seen (to cite only a few examples) the original Cat PeopleA Nightmare on Elm Street, The Others or The Woman in Black, where it's women - or their ghosts - who call the shots."

I will be watching as many of these as I can find online and in the library and do an in-depth analysis on how I think they make woman scary in films, compared to men. 







No comments:

Post a Comment