Thursday 10 March 2016

First Practise - Characters Hair

First attempt at my characters hair...

I started doing some research into Victorian male hair, I used a few books from the library but I couldn't find anything I particularly liked. 
I then went onto google images and I found this hair style shown on the left, I really liked this one because I also thought it reflected how Stevenson looked in some of the portraits I have seen of him. 
Stevenson has slightly longer hair and had a middle parting but the model I will be using doesn't have long enough hair to use a middle parting so I will be using a sharp side parting.
I will also be curling the hair so that I get a slight wave to it, adding texture and creating the swept back style. 

Equipment...

-Hair Spray 
-Pin Tail Comb
-Curling Tongs
-Gel 
-Hair Dryer  

Step by step...

I started by creating the side parting in the hair, this started out to be quite a challenge because my models hair is extremely thick and bouncy which made it hard to flatten down. I tired using hair spray to hold the hair down but it didn't work because the hair that I was putting over doesn't normally sit there which made it very bouncy and not stay put. 
I had to think of another way of making the hair sit flat on the side of the head, I decided to wet the hair then blow dry it in the side parting which would help it stay. 
I wet the hair using a water spray, I then combed the hair into the parting I wanted and then blow-dried it flat. 
This worked really well as it set the parting, I then sprayed this with hair spray to set it and then combed that through while it was wet to stick all the fly aways down.

I then moved on to creating the swept back look, I used  small tongs to create this by curling the top part back away from the face. I then used the curlers to curl the side part and wanted a pronounced curl at the side which was facing straight down to give volume to the side which didn't have as much hair. 

I was extremely happy with the results from my first practise as I really like the way it sits swept back from the face. I also really like the sharp side parting because this is a very classic Victorian.
The only thing was it took me quite a long time to create this style. I will have to adapt the hair style so I can get it done in the time I have.





No comments:

Post a Comment